Power Outage When to call an Electrician

Power Outage When to call an Electrician

Powers Out  When to call an Electrician or to call Your Power Company 
Generaly there are 3 types of power outages for the most part a Parcel Outage, Brown out, and or Full Power loss.

  • Parcel outage / Half Power – This is when you loose half your power or appliances like your Electric Dryer and Range wont work or possibly an Electric Water heater.  As well as about half your Home might not work depending upon how the circuits are run.

This is the result of loosing One of the Two power legs coming into your home 

  • Brown out (This is where the Neutral is lost and has lost its connection or is shorting out and can come and go )

This can show in a few different ways for instance.
Some lights go dim and others get Really bright. 220 appliances will Trip the main breaker and your plugs may not work at all or they do sometimes but not others

  • Full Power loss. Your first thing to do is to look around and see if your neighbors are also in the same predicament. If this is the case just call the power company and see what they are doing to fix it if they don’t know yet please help them and report to them what you know. 

     Now here is what to do in case you have these problems 
Always watch for damage as you go this may be a big help to either the power company or the Electrician.
First Take a look around do a visual check of the home check your Electrical panel. Then if it’s Safe go outside and do a Visual inspection of your meter base. If everything is intact and good check your Main breaker and reset it if your power is still off then you should start with your first call it should be to your local power company.
They don’t usually have any cost associated when they run out to check on your home you might even find out that they are already working on the problem.
One more clue would be too look at the meter and see if it is reading power if so then after the power company inspects it you should call a licensed Electrical contractor to come find the problem and get it repaired correctly.
Disclaimer:  As always, this is an informational post only.  Always call a licensed and insured Electrical Contractor to work on your home or building.


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.