16 Mar Knob and Tube Wiring – Dangerous!!!!
Do you live in a home that was built between 1880 and 1940? Have you had the Electrical replaced since then? Commonly used in these old houses are what is called Knob and Tube Wiring. It is considered to be DANGEROUS! If you do, you need to have your home inspected right away and new Electrical system installed.
Some of the biggest safety problems are the lack of a ground conductor, and the switches were often placed on the neutral wire, turning off the circuit, but not the current. Some people say when this was installed correctly, it was superior to how it is done now. Due to age and new safety procedures, though, these practices are severely outdated and cause a significant safety hazard. Some people try to tie into the old wires with new wires which the old wires are not rated for the new loads. This can cause the disintegration in the insulation around the wire, which is there for your safety and for your homes safety. Also, through the years, dust and mice are most likely to have corrupted the protection tubing also, leaving copper wiring open and unprotected. People have also tried to insulate their homes around the Knob and Tube wiring and this is also a huge fire problem, the Knob and Tube Wiring were meant to be left open to cool, so covering them with insulation, is very, very dangerous.
When these systems where built they had no idea that we would have all of life’s extra little things to help us out. All they had was one light and outlet in each room and if they were lucky a fridge. Now there is an outlet or two on every wall, custom can lighting and iPhones, I pads, computers, laptops, and iPods to charge daily and everything else you can think of. The old systems just can’t hold the loads. I can go on and on about the dangers but I want you to be able to sleep at night !
Homeowners Insurance Companies don’t like to insure homes with this type of wiring in it because of the potential danger. Some require it to be inspected and signed off to be safe and some require it to be replaced. So, like always, have your home inspected by a certified, qualified, licensed, insured, Electrician. Know your local and state laws about home requirements.
Sabin Electric is a licensed, insured Electrical Contractor who works with all the different Electrical needs. Giver us a call – 8013585170!