Burnt Wires

Well I came across another burnt up wire today.  This was to a dryer it appears durning construction the electrician didn’t tighten the terminal down enough and over time it became loose.   When this happens corrosion will build up and over time this will cause more resistance and this causes heat, then you end up with burnt and damaged wires at the least. In this case it burnt out the side of the plug and caused damage to the box as well the box did its job it contained the fire damage but it was no longer usable.

So to fix this- the wire had allot of damage I cut in a new box below this old one because the conductors fed up from below this gave me more length to work with and I was able to cut out all of the damaged conductors to get to clean copper and good insulation. Then I installed the new plug (in this case we up graded to a 4 wire dryer plug and we replaced to dryer cord as well) we then proceeded to test the plug then the machine everything was back to normal and working correctly.

If you look close you can also see the damage to the box the top right its sagging down and no longer has the correct protection to use for Electrical at all.

Disclaimer:  This post was meant as an informational post.  As always, have a licensed insured electrician work on your home.