Smoke Detectors

Did you know that the manufacturer recommends that the smoke detector be changed every 10 years and the batteries every 6 months?  If your home was built before 2009 then you should look into changing out all of your smoke detectors.

Disclaimer:   This is meant as an informational blog only.  Always call a licensed and insured electrical contractor to work on your home or business



Power Outage When to call an Electrician

Powers Out  When to call an Electrician or to call Your Power Company 

Generaly there are 3 types of power outages for the most part a Parcel Outage, Brown out, and or Full Power loss.

  • Parcel outage / Half Power – This is when you loose half your power or appliances like your Electric Dryer and Range wont work or possibly an Electric Water heater.  As well as about half your Home might not work depending upon how the circuits are run.

This is the result of loosing One of the Two power legs coming into your home 

  • Brown out (This is where the Neutral is lost and has lost its connection or is shorting out and can come and go )

This can show in a few different ways for instance.

Some lights go dim and others get Really bright. 220 appliances will Trip the main breaker and your plugs may not work at all or they do sometimes but not others

  • Full Power loss. Your first thing to do is to look around and see if your neighbors are also in the same predicament. If this is the case just call the power company and see what they are doing to fix it if they don’t know yet please help them and report to them what you know. 

     Now here is what to do in case you have these problems 

Always watch for damage as you go this may be a big help to either the power company or the Electrician.

First Take a look around do a visual check of the home check your Electrical panel. Then if it’s Safe go outside and do a Visual inspection of your meter base. If everything is intact and good check your Main breaker and reset it if your power is still off then you should start with your first call it should be to your local power company.

They don’t usually have any cost associated when they run out to check on your home you might even find out that they are already working on the problem.

One more clue would be too look at the meter and see if it is reading power if so then after the power company inspects it you should call a licensed Electrical contractor to come find the problem and get it repaired correctly.


Disclaimer:  As always, this is an informational post only.  Always call a licensed and insured Electrical Contractor to work on your home or building.


Double Tapped Breakers or Lugs – are they safe or a fire hazard?

I have been getting a lot of calls about double tapped breakers  –  This means that two wires (conductors) are connected to one breaker on the same circuit breaker.

Why is this bad? – Most Breakers are not designed or rated for 2 conductors. One of the biggest dangers is the possibility of a loose connection they have been tested for the described rating on the breaker them selves. Anything beyond that may not be safe and may cause a bad connection which in most cases cause damage and in the wrong situation a fire.

This then leads to heat damage which can cause damage to other breakers and or the bussing in the panel

With two wires connected to the same breaker, the  breaker could overheat. If the two wires are not attached correctly, this could result in arcing and/or a fire.

How can you check to make sure you don’t have any double tapped breakers? –  Have a licensed electrician inspect your panel.

Disclaimer:   This is an informative blog only, as always – contact a local licensed electrician to help you with all your electrical needs