We had a recent training on the dangers of asbestos exposure and we want you, our customer, to have access to the same safety information. Here’s what you need to know about asbestos.
Asbestos is a mineral that is chemically resistant, heat and fire resistant, durable, and non conductive to electricity.
Over a hundred years ago, this cheap material was used in several textiles until the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned it due to health risks.
Here’s a list of symptoms that develop after exposure to asbestos:
- Loss of appetite
- Wight loss
- Fatigue or anemia
- Persistent or worsening cough
- Swelling of the neck or face
- Difficulty swallowing
The problem is, several of these symptoms only manifest themselves once it’s too late.
Here’s what you can do now.
Prevent and repair damage
Crumbling drywall or disturbed installation could allow fibrous materials to become airborne and enter your lungs. Frequently monitor your home and make repairs as needed.
Test your home
can hire trained asbestos professionals from institutions like the EPA to conduct sample tests and ensure your home is safe from hazardous materials.
Wear protective gear
If you find yourself doing a remodel or making repairs- make sure you wear proper protective equipment. Use a high quality dust mask and protective eyewear throughout the project. If there is even a slight possibility of exposure, make sure to quickly shower and wash the contaminated clothing separately.
Homes containing asbestos are dangerous for our electricians. Sometimes we spend hours around insulation and construction debris. But the threat is even greater for homeowners. Prolonged exposure only heightens the risks. Feel free to learn more from the links below and let us know how we can serve you!